The Williamstown PS School Council plays a significant role in the life of the school and is one of the many ways you may become involved in the life of the school.
The council has a legislated responsibility to:
- contribute to the long-term planning for the future of the school by assisting with school evaluations and strategic plans
- oversee the management of the school’s cash reserves, including budgeting and some capital works
- make sure the school’s grounds and buildings are developed and maintained
- develop, review, update and monitor policies
- report annually to the community and the DET
- take into account the community’s views when making decisions.
School Council is not involved in the day-to-day operational management of the school. Council does not:
- employ teaching staff
- hire or fire the school principal
- determine class allocations
- discuss individual issues between teachers, students and parents
- represent sectional interests
- make decisions about curriculum or pedagogical approaches.
The WPS School Council has thirteen members – seven elected parent representatives, four elected DET representatives, the school principal and the school business manager. School Council may also nominate up to three community members. All elected members serve a two-year term.
The council meets at least eight times a year and in the week prior to these meetings the various the council sub-committees meet.
Teamwork, co-operation, collaboration, trust and confidentiality are the hallmarks of effective councils, and we are fortunate that our councils have been highly effective over many years.
If being on school council appeals to you, we suggest you have a chat to one of our current councillors or contact our school principal, Andrea Duxson. You might also wish to visit the DET website.
For further information on the role of school council, see the DET publication Making the Partnership Work.
Click here to access the WPS School Council Standing Orders
Our School Council body consists of the following sub-committees:
- Education Policy
- Buildings, Grounds and Environment
If you have a question for School Council, please email firstname.lastname@example.org requesting it be forwarded to the relevant sub-committee. It will be answered as soon as possible.
Recent School Council Minutes:
Please click below to access the minutes of each meeting.
2020 School Council Members
Please click picture to enlarge.
Parent & Community Members
- Julie-Anne Douglas (President)
- Linda Rintoul (Vice President)
- Joanne Munro (Treasurer)
- Georgie Arnott
- Erica Smith
- Alex Brawn
- Samantha Hunneyball
DET (Staff & Principal) Members
- Andrea Duxson (Principal) – email@example.com
- Mathew Montebello (Assistant Principal) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Liz Beasley (Assistant Principal) – email@example.com
- Steven Puhar (Leading Teacher)
- Lisa Leydin (Learning Specialist)
- Cheryl Douglas (Business Manager) – firstname.lastname@example.org