The Williamstown PS School Council plays a significant role in the life of the school and is one of the many ways you may become involved in the life of the school.
The council has a legislated responsibility to
- contribute to the long-term planning for the future of the school by assisting with school evaluations and strategic plans
- oversee the management of the school’s cash reserves, including budgeting and some capital works
- make sure the school’s grounds and buildings are developed and maintained
- develop, review, update and monitor policies
- report annually to the community and the DEECD
- take into account the community’s views when making decisions.
School Council is not involved in the day-to-day operational management of the school. Council does not
- employ teaching staff
- hire or fire the school principal
- determine class allocations
- discuss individual issues between teachers, students and parents
- represent sectional interests.
The WPS School Council has fifteen members – seven elected parent representatives, five DEECD representatives, one of whom is the principal, and up to three community members. All members serve a two-year term.
The council meets at least eight times a year and in the week prior to these meetings the various the council sub-committees meet.
Teamwork, co-operation, collaboration, trust and confidentiality are the hallmarks of effective councils, and we are fortunate that our councils have been highly effective over many years.
If being on school council appeals to you, we suggest you have a chat to one of our current councillors or contact our school principal, Andrea Duxson. You might also wish to visit the DEECD website.
For further information on the role of school council, see the DEECD publication Making the Partnership Work.
Click here to access the WPS School Council Standing Orders
Our School Council body consists of the following sub-committees:
- Education Policy
- Buildings, Grounds and Environment
If you have a question for School Council, please email firstname.lastname@example.org requesting it be forwarded to the relevent sub-committee. It will be answered as soon as possible.
School Council Minutes 2017:
Please click below to access the minutes of each meeting.
2017 School Council Members
Please click picture to enlarge.
Parent & Community Members
- Peter Langford (President)
- Cara McMahon (Vice President)
- Stuart Brown (Treasurer)
- Jenni Tesmer-Cooke
- Geeta Srivatsa
- Peter Flaherty
- Linda Wotton
- Rachel Canaway
- Erica Smith
- Trish Murphy
DET (Staff & Principal) Members
- Andrea Duxson (Principal) – email@example.com
- Mathew Montebello (Assistant Principal) – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cheryl Douglas (Business Manager) – email@example.com
- Steven Puhar
- Liz Beasley
- Zoe Dawkins